Nitric oxide (NO), coined the “Molecule of the Year” in 1992 is being tested as a treatment for COVID-19 patients.
The production of NO has been shown to increase when you do long deep breathing through the nose – a reason to do breath work which I share below – if not to boost your immunity and as a preventive measure but also to improve your sex life and almost every aspect of your health and your life.
What is nitric oxide (NO)?
NO is a gas that is produced in the sinuses and continuously released into the nasal passages before moving down into the lungs on inhalation.
In 1992 it was called the “Molecule of the Year” because it was found to be the “one molecule in all the human body that unites all the major disciplines of medicine” (Buteyko Clinic International).
“A GAS that gives rise to the male erection, controls high blood pressure and plays a role in the development of cancer has won the most coveted slot in chemistry: scientists have voted it molecule of the year, writes Steve Connor.” (ref: Independent 1992, @SteveConner)
“Scientists have shown that tiny amounts of the gas are essential for the normal functions of the brain, arteries, immune system, liver, pancreas, uterus, nerves and lungs, to name but a few.”(ref: Independent 1992)
In 1998 American scientists received the Nobel Prize for discovering that NO was an important signaling molecule and has been found to play an important role in the opening and closing of air passages in the lungs and blood vessels, homeostasis, neurotransmission (the communication of brain cells), immunity, digestion, and respiration.
In 2005 Swedish scientists found that it inhibits the replication cycle of SARS coronavirus (the coronavirus of 2002) and since It has also been used successfully in treating pre-mature babies with underdeveloped lungs – it may be successful in treating COVID-19 patients being that lung failure is the leading cause of death in COVID-19.
Science is now validating what the yogis have known for centuries. While the yogis likely did not know the exact physical manifestation of their practices, i.e., the increased levels of NO as result of long deep breathing, they did know that long deep breathing had anti-viral and anti-bacterial benefits. They also knew of these other benefits:
- Activates the parasympathetic nervous system, the rest and digest branch of your nervous system.
- Increases the flow of prana, life force or chi (Qi).
- Reduces and prevents the build-up of toxins in the lungs by encouraging the clearing of the small air sacs (alveoli.)
- Stimulates the brain chemicals—endorphins—that help fight depression.
- Brings the brain to a new level of alertness.
- Pumps the spinal fluid to the brain, giving greater energy.
- Long and deep breathing combined with focused attention stimulates the pituitary gland to secrete hormones related to enhanced intuition.
- Filling the lungs to capacity revitalizes and re-adjusts the magnetic field of the heart.
- Cleanses the blood.
- Regulates the body’s pH (acid-akaline balance), which affects the ability to handle stressful situations and to heal.
- Energizes, and increases vitality.
- Aids in releasing blockages in meridian energy flow.
- Activates and clears the nerve channels.
- Aids in speeding up emotional and physical healing.
- Aids in breaking subconscious habit patterns such as insecurities and fears.
- Aids in fighting addictions.
- Re-channels previous mental conditioning on pain so as to reduce or eliminate pain, (for example, in childbirth.)
- Gives capacity to manage negativity and emotions, supporting clarity, cool-headedness, and patience.
Developing deep inner strength, resiliency and immunity with these life changing practice, one human at at time.
Posted by Kat Lewis PhD Functional Medicine Practitioner on Wednesday, March 25, 2020
Paramahansa Yogananda, author of Autobiography of Yogi said “God is always calling us towards him”. In yogic terms GOD Is not a human in the sky but the Generating, Operating, Delivering/Destroying (GOD) principles and laws that operate the universe. Is this COVID-19 outbreak one more way in which the Universe is calling us towards him. A consequence of this outbreak is that more and more people are interested in how to protect themselves from this virus. In their search, what they will find is that the only way to truly protect oneself aside from becoming a hostage in their own home is to adopt lifestyle habits that create health and resiliency:
- Eat organic, natural, unprocessed food and mostly plants.
- Drink plenty of water, make this your primary source of liquid.
- Remove sugar, alcohol, soda.
- Reduce and manage stress with meditation, yoga, Tai Chi, Qi Gong
- Get some healthy stress like exercise, move the body, the lymphatic system, important for you immune system does not have its own pump, you have to move the body.
- Do what bring you joy! Dance, sing, play, stop taking life so seriously
- Tune into nature’s natural rhythms, go outside, sit on the ground, walk barefoot
- Slow down and be more conscious of your reactions, your tone of voice, your vibration, how you eat, how your beliefs are affecting your relationships and the quality of your life.
- Adopt a mediation practice, you must clean out the subconscious on a daily basis or it will have the same effect as not taking out the trash in your house. Your life may begin to stink.
Supplements to increase Nitric Oxide
- NOx Synergy™ is a synergistic formula designed to optimize nitric oxide (NO) levels in the body.
- L-Arginine is a clinically useful amino acid for enhancing heart health, the circulatory system and the immune system. It is a precursor of nitric oxide, known to be important for blood pressure maintenance and healthy endothelial function.
1. Buteyko Clinic International
2. Kundalini Research Institute Teacher Training Manual I.
3. Independent 1992